Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Why I don't like Christmas

 Why I don't like Christmas.
I no longer really enjoy Christmas.  I would rather be on a beach, away from all this, 'buss ling' energy around me.  Everybody buying presents, they don't need, with money they don't have. 
 If I didn't have kids and grand-kids, I really wouldn't do anything different, than I do all year.
I keep trying to remember when I stopped liking Christmas, and I think the honest answer is....
When I stopped having money.  So when I don't have any extra money, that's when all the GUILT AND SHAME and Embarrassment
starts building up inside.  More stress, that I can't compete with all the fancy extra's at Christmas.
Even if I wanted to, and I really don't, but if I did.   I can't buy a bunch of baking stuff to make goodies. That's probably at least $40.   Then you need to buy some paper plates to put them on, and wrap them with saran wrap and a bow, $10.  Now go to the dollar store or $5 store and buy wrapping paper,  tape, a $5 gift for kids in the family, $40-$50. Stop at the grocery store and get extra food to take to pot-lucks, probably $40.  A small tree, $20.  The bare minimum is $200.  For a minimalist, like myself, that pays my $95 electric bill, gas, my medicine, and my $80 month in doctor visits. 
I'm not a total GRINCH  I put on a happy face, and wish you all Merry Christmas.  
But if I could just disappear for the month of  December.  I WOULD be gone.

 I don't need 'Christmas' to remember the birth and purpose of 
Jesus Christ our Savoir.
And I really have mixed emotions about blending Santa Claus and the birth of Christ together.
I would like to see the two holidays separated.  Celebrate the Birth and life of Jesus Christ, and then have Santa show up for fun, for the kids, on a different day.  I just think it sends mixed messages to kids.
I try to live Christ's teachings on a daily basis, and think about his teachings, everyday, not just at Christmas.  I think that Jesus loves me, whether or not I choose to get involved in all the 'hoop-la' of December.                                                                                                                                                                              “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!” 
― Charles DickensA Christmas Carol


So have a 
Merry Christmas
how ever you choose to celebrate it, and                                             GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE. -Tiny Tim

4 comments:

Pedaling said...

I totally get, 100%, what your are saying.

I have a love/hate relationship with this holiday...but I really like your idea of separating the secular from the religious parts of Christmas.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to recognize Christmas solely for it's intent, to celebrate Christs' birth with a little extra bump---I especially love music that speaks of his birth...so many wonderful songs and hymns there....

Then maybe put the santa/presents/baking etc all for the New Year!
That is how it should be done...I agree.

How can we make that happen?
I'll think on that.

In the meantime- I'll be gong with the tradition and be a bit
conflicted.

I really appreciated this post. :)

Merry Christmas!

sweet older sister said...

One of the scriptures I like sharing with my neighbors this time of year is Luke 1:32, 33 where the angel Gabriel explains to Mary the purpose of Jesus birth.

"This one will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and Jehovah God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and there will be no end to his kingdom."

Anonymous said...

You Have good ideas. Mom

Jen said...

Like I said on Sheila's blog. I think my kids are young enough that I feel we have a healthy balance. That might change as I get older. Oh wait, I am. Officially today. Ha ha. :)