Tuesday, September 15, 2009

GOTTA' KEEP MOVIN'



Mom and me hanging out.
Tomorrow I am having neck surgery. My wonderful mom is here with me to help with my recovery. I have been trying to get her settled in here at my apartment, and familiar with the downtown area. I live on the 2nd floor of a downtown apartment so it is a little challenging carry groceries, and things up and down the stairs. Mom is a real trooper. I showed her where the nearest grocery store is, the bank, the post office, Wal-mart, Walgreens, and now the Gym.
We went to church Sunday and introduced ourselves, and got contact numbers for mom. They were all very nice.
Some of you may wonder, how can I be in so much pain, and go to the gym??
The fact is, that-that is when I have the least amount of pain. Walking on the treadmill, standing, and stretching helps relieve the nerve compression in my spine. 'Sitting' , standing still, and lying down, are the most painful. In those positions, the ruptured disc constricts my cervical nerve. (C-6) I have intense pain across my shoulders, down my arms, and intermittent numbness, and weakness. I have been dealing with this severe pain for over 3 years, trying everything to avoid surgery, but it has progressed to the point that I can't hide it anymore. If I continue to
"suck it up, grin and bear it", I could end up with permanent nerve damage.
whaaa, whaaaa, whaaaa.
So, hopefully this will relieve my severe chronic pain, and I can concentrate on other aspects of my life.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Severe pain is not something I have much experience with but I can only imagine how difficult and altering it can make a life.

Love seeing Grandma getting a workout in. She is so awesome!

Krista said...

good luck! hope the surgery goes well.

sweet older sister said...

Good post! Thanks for keeping us up to date with your life. I hope this surgery helps. As I have experienced nerve pain in my neck and back I can sorta relate to your situation. At least mine is helped with adjustments by my chiropractor. This kind of pain can sap you of strength phyiscally, and can make us grumpy if we let it, really interfering with everyday life. Love you and Mom too! She's looking Good!