Saturday, November 17, 2012

A couple days at the beach







So, I had the opportunity to take a little drive and go to the beach for a couple days to get more photos, for postcards and calendars. I have over 15,000 pictures in my computer.  So, I decided to turn my hobby into something.
I like to photograph landscapes.  I like to capture the beauty all around us, through my eyes.  These are just a few of my photos from Wrightsville Beach, NC.                                        Wrightsville Beach is a narrow island, 4 miles long.  On one side you have the Atlantic Ocean, and on the other side is what they call the 'sound' side.  The hotel that I stayed at had rooms where you can face the interior side, which is a pretty view because there are beautiful sail boats and yachts, or you can face the ocean.  I chose to face the ocean.


Wrightsville Beach is a town in New Hanover CountyNorth CarolinaUnited States. Wrightsville Beach is just east of Wilmingtonand is part of the Wilmington Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,593 at the 2000 census. The town consists of a four-mile-long beach island, an interior island called Harbor Island, and pockets of commercial property on the mainland. The 1991 film Sleeping with the Enemy starring Julia Roberts was filmed, in part, in a prop home just north of Shell Island Resort Hotel.[3]

Contents

  [hide

[edit]History

The island's first structure was the Carolina Yacht Club, built in 1853. A train track was built in 1888 from the mainland to Harbor Island to the exterior island along the beach, which brought vacationers from nearby Wilmington and spurred development. In 1902, the train was converted to electric streetcars—i.e., the beach trolley. The most significant structure on the island was the large dance floor and entertainment center, the Lumina Pavilion, which opened in 1905. In its heyday, it attracted numerous entertainers, including most of the famous Big Bands. Cars were finally allowed on the beach in 1935, hastening the demise of the beach trolley, which last ran in 1940. Lumina closed in 1973.
The Wrightsville Beach Museum of History, housed in a relocated cottage built in 1907 on Salisbury Street near the entrance to the island, features the town's history. Many tourists come to see Wrightsville's history and beaches.
Even though the sky was cloudy, and it was 'sweatshirt' weather, I still had a wonderful time and got some great shots, relaxation, went out for a nice dinner, sat in the jacuzzi, read, and met some nice locals.  For me;   ANY Day on the beach is a great day.  You can just sit and listen to the waves, and look out far into the horizon.  People were fishing, surfing, metal detecting, doing that standing up on a surf board and paddling around, and kayaking.  
And me;  taking photographs and shell hunting.

"All I have seen teaches me 
 to trust the Creator
for all I have not seen."    -Ralph Waldo Emerson.


4 comments:

sweet older sister said...

Yep, I agree there is never a bad day to go to the beach. I have even gone in the rain and enjoyed it. Our cousin Nancy has been to the beach in the snow and enjoyed it!

LOVE LOve love your pictures!

Pedaling said...

I enjoy your little hobby!

What is it about the beach? Clears the mind, aids the soul.

sandyseashells said...

I know. There is a reason people flock to the beach to find solace and peace.

vandibrandi said...

Love the eye of hurricane sandy!